ANNOUNCE: Tinderbox 3.0.0 Beta 1 now available
Joe Marcus Clarke
jclarke at cisco.com
Wed Jul 30 12:59:54 EDT 2008
Where to begin. First, this beta might better be called an alpha
release as the potential for some additions still exists. Once 3.0
enters the release candidate phase, then only bug fixes will be
Tinderbox 3.0 represents a huge amount of work by Ade Lovett to clean up
the code, and simplify Tinderbox operation. As someone who writes code
for Tinderbox, I can say he's done a tremendous job to make things
easier. There are also other new features which many Tinderbox 2.x port
users might not notice as they are already using some of them. I'll
list a few:
* The www-exp module has been renamed webui, and a new web frontend has
been added called paefchen.
* All Tinderbox commands with the exception of tinderd are now performed
using the tc utility.
* The Hosts system has been removed as it was not really used, and not
really suited to the purpose of distributed builds. The ground work has
been laid to support distributed builds, but that is not present in 3.0.
* A DISTFILE_URI config directive has been introduced to allow for
distributed distfile caches.
* The latest port fail reasons and patterns have been synced from
* The total size taken by a port build (in KB) is now tracked in the
database. This can be obtained using the command ``tc getPortTotalSize
-d DIRECTORY -b BUILD''.
* Port build logs now contain OPTIONS and environment details.
* The ``tc addPort'' command assumes a recursive add by default. This
can be disabled by passing the -R argument.
* Port dependencies are now recorded in the database when ``tc addPort''
is called without -R. The dependency list can be retrieved with ``tc
getDependenciesForPort -d DIRECTORY -b BUILD''.
* The ``tc tbcleanup'' command now supports pruning stale distfiles,
stale packages, and not pruning old error logs. See the README for
command line details.
* The default update type and update host are configurable at Setup and
Upgrade time. The default update type has been changed from CVSUP to
* The last_fail_reason is now exported to the postPortBuild Hook.
To setup a new Tinderbox 3.0 installation, extract the .tar.gz file into
your port build root, then run ``tc Setup''. If you are upgrading from
Tinderbox 2.x, you can extract the .tar.gz to your port build root, then
run ``tc Upgrade''. Everything except port_fail_reasons and
port_fail_patterns should be migrated.
I don't expect too many problems with this beta, but there are bound to
be some (especially in the upgrade path). That said, there will
probably be frequent beta releases until everything beings to stabilize.
Be sure to report any regressions or discrepancies in the README.
Tinderbox 3.0 would not have been possible without the hard work of Ade
Lovett. Other contributors include Aron Schlesinger (paefchen web
frontend), Martin Wilke (testing, bug fixes, feature requests), and
Ion-Mihai Tetcu (feature requests). There may be other pre-beta 3.0
users, and if you've made bug reports, thank you.
Joe Marcus Clarke, CCIE #5384, | |
SCJP, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA ||||| |||||
Customer Support Engineer ..:|||||||||::|||||||||:..
Phone: +1 (919) 392-2867 c i s c o S y s t e m s
Email: jclarke at cisco.com
More information about the tinderbox-list