troubles with LC_CTYPE/LANG

Kirill Ponomarew krion at voodoo.oberon.net
Mon Mar 28 04:49:40 EST 2005

On Sun, Mar 27, 2005 at 09:37:26PM +0200, Kirill Ponomarew wrote:
> > All of my testing happens without any LANG or LC_CTYPE variables set (as
> > do builds on pointyhat).  It is strange though that these messages would
> > appear from a chroot, unless the locale files were built using the 6.X
> > format.  In any event, it would probably be a good idea to sanitize the
> > build locale to C.
>
> Setting locale to C helps of course, but before fixing LC_CTYPE
> format it worked also with non-C locales.  I'll ask ru@ why it
> happens.

The problem was, when we're doing the build of 5.x on 6.x,
mklocale(1) is used from 6,x and it generates LC_CTYPE files which
libc.so.5 does not understand, it's described in Makefile.inc1:

.if ${BOOTSTRAPPING} < 600016
_mklocale=      usr.bin/mklocale
.endif

So, using C locale is the only solution.

-Kirill