HOWTO reduce time of build ?

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at freebsd.org
Mon Sep 13 13:51:13 EDT 2010

On 9/13/10 12:49 PM, Dan Angelescu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed Tinderbox 3.3.
> How can i reduce time for building packages ? I own a quad core CPU.
> I must use more BUILDS ( jail + ports ) in parallel or exist something like make -j ?
> Thanks for a great tool.

You can use multiple parallel builds, but the -j does not work.  You can
also make use of tmpfs as backing store to decrease I/O time.  Other
users (like itetcu) may be able to offer some more insight.  This is
something I would love to see written up in an FAQ/whitepaper.

Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeNode / #freebsd-gnome
http://www.FreeBSD.org/gnome